Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Wow...growing fast.

I've started the second tier of beds.  The first has nine cherry tomato plants.  They were late purchases from Richters.  They came as plugs and were incredibly healthy plants.  I need to put in the second bed soon.  It will hold the last three cherry tomato plants and the broccoli and turnip plants that I've started from seed this week for a fall crop.  Next year, both the boxes will house blueberry plants.



Rachel's garden is growing nicely.



I've done five gutters of strawberries.  They seem to be doing ok.  The test will be to see how well they over-winter.



The garlic has 1-1.5 loops in the scapes.  In the first row, I've clipped every other scape to see if it makes any difference in the size of bulbs.



Bed 1 has done well.  The cabbage plants are being eaten by earwigs.  I've treated them with corn meal and baking soda.  I've also put out little bowls of beer.







The letters in the gutter is thriving!





We've harvested three or four beets.  I froze the greens and will make beet chips for Rachel out of the actual beets.



The gladiola nursery is amazing.  Silly bulbs may actually make flowers!  Given how small some were, I'm stunned.  The zinnias have grown at an astonishing pace.



The kale plants have produced a lot more than I expected.  I've put away a dozen bags of it.




The herb garden is so pretty.




The romaine lettuce has done really well in the gutters.



And the potato towers grew so fast I couldn't keep up with them.



The raspberry plants are two years old and are putting on berries.  I got bird netting on them this evening.





No comments:

Post a Comment